In Autumn/Winter of 2017, THCVS undertook a programme of workshops, discussions, and survey research to help Tower Hamlets Council to develop is new grants policy. We spoke to around 70 organisations and community groups and received comments and responses from local residents, council staff, and other interested parties. You can read a summary of our findings online and see the final workshop presentation here.
Phase one of the grants work has now resulted in the development of a draft grants framework, which contains the following themes:
- Innovation - to encourage innovation or pilot something new, especially where there is a gap;
- Prevention - to promote grass roots activity to reduce the need for statutory services;
- Neighbourhood action - to promote local neighbourhood initiatives
- Community cohesion - to develop community resilience, promote cultural opportunities and reduce social isolation;
- Capacity building - to enable smaller organisations to become more sustainable, where appropriate providing core funding to lever in other resources, and
- Partnership working - making the sector more effective through closer partnership working within the sector and across sectors.
In addition, there will be two cross cutting themes; Community cohesion, i.e developing community resilience, promoting cultural opportunities and reducing social isolation, and equality and diversity - demonstrating how people with protected equalities characteristics will be included.
This workshop will look at each of the themes in more detail, asking participants to consider what the outcomes of work under each theme might be, how they might be measured, and what the priorities for the new grants programme might be.
The session is open to everyone with an interest in the new grants programme. You don't have to have come to any of the previous meetings. Staff, volunteers, trustees and service users of local voluntary groups (of all types and sizes) are all welcome.
If you have any questions/comments/suggestions about the event, then please email Gemma.Cossins@thcvs.org.uk
192-196 Hanbury Street
London, E1 5HU